Thursday 4 October 2012

Re-usable Art Faces

Every year I take photos of each of my students to use in the class.  We stick photocopies of their faces on their books, cubbies, and folders so that they can recognize themseves and eachother as they are learning to read names.  I also use these photocopies of their photos for various art projects throughout the year.  

This year I used our face photocopies to make little art face boards for the kids to play with, based on an idea that I saw on Pinterest.  I backed them on bristol board, and I used some shiny, clear contact paper from the dollar store (it is adhesive on one side like a giant sticker, I believe it is supposed to be for covering books)

When you colour on them with water based markers, you can just wipe them clean.


The kids can trace and colour their faces any way they like, adding features or details.  It teaches them about the features and senses of the face, and their accurate placement on the head, but my favourite side effect is that it loosens the rules on portraiture.  We looked at the portrait art of Artists like Otto Dix, Andy Warhol, Frida Kahlo, Audrey Flack, and Pablo Picasso and many others to inspire us.

Then one day I had the idea to use plastiscene on the faces!  They became relief sculptures!





So funny.




No comments:

Post a Comment