Thursday 13 March 2014

The Big Top - A Circus Themed Group Show at 99 Sudbury The Super Wonder Gallery

I have for a while now been slowly working on a series inspired by circus sideshow posters, how convenient that the next group show at the Super Wonder Gallery is circus themed!
Opens on Friday March 21, and promises to be the best party yet.

Here is a sneak preview of the work I'll be submitting:

The Bearded Lady:


The Conjoined Twins (work in progress)


I am exploring the usual themes of cultural characters and icons (from a feminine perspective) in our world, comparing fantasy and folk culture with more contemporary forms of media (like the characterization and designs of vaudvillian circus posters, as well as modern advertising).  On a technical level, I am excited about bringing more drawing, line, and pattern into my work with the use of paint pens and mixed media.  Come on out to 99 Sudbury for a closer look!

No comments:

Post a Comment